Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wishing for Zombies?

PhotobucketHi! It is me, Lesa, wishing for a book. I think. 

You see the book in question is Zone One, a post-apocalyptic novel about the aftermath of a zombie plague, by Colson Whitehead


Post-apocalyptic novels, I do like.

Zombies, meh... not so much.

Now, no offense to zombies. It is just that I am not a 'Squee! Zombies!' sort of girl. In fact, my interest in zombies is zilch. 

Be that as it may, I have enjoyed the occasional zombie movie/book. The friendly but misunderstood zombies from the magically punny Xanth books are funny.  And The Forest of Hands and Teeth (with traditional unfriendly zombies) is an excellent post-apocalyptic dystopian YA read.

But do I wish to read another post-apocalyptic zombie book?

My interest waned a bit since first hearing about Zone One a couple of weeks ago in a NPR Fresh Air author interview. 

image Erin Patrice O'Brien/Doubleday

After relistening to the extremely engaging author, Colson Whitehead, discuss his novel and share anecdotes from his childhood and prep school days, I was completely enthralled again. 


So yes, I do wish to read this book. And Mr. Whitehead's previous non-zombie literary works as well.

Give a listen. Bet you won't be able to resist his giggle. (Or the fact that the book is a tip of the hat to his favorite sci-fi and horror shows/comics/books from childhood.  I can't resist, I love that sort of thing.)



Click 'summary' to read a synopsis and abbreviated companion article.

So, book wishing friends, is Zone One a wish-worthy book?  And have you read any Colson Whitehead novels?


Wishlist Wednesday is a bookish linky party hosted by Pen to Paper.  

2 comments:

  1. This one does look interesting...I heard the author talk about it in a Panel at the Brooklyn Book Festival a few months ago!! Hope you get to read it soon!!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lesa! I haven't jumped on the zombie bandwagon yet. Although, I have enjoyed the occasional zombie comedy film like Zombieland. Probably by the time I get around to it, everyone would have moved onto something else... like were-unicorns or somesuch.

    Misfit Salon

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...